During your Bachelor Medical Sciences and Technology you will take courses to obtain knowledge. The theory is explained during lectures and practiced in guided self-study by means of assignments. You will apply he obtained knowledge in design-based learning projects where you work in a group on a case study.
In the first year, courses and projects are taken together with students from the major Biomedical Engineering . In this year, you can easily switch between the two majors.
- Cell & tissue
- Introduction to organic chemistry
- Biostatistics and linear algebra
- Programming & genomics
- Applied Physical Sciences
During the second and third years, you specialize in biomedical subjects such as regeneration, and immunology and infection. In these courses, particular attention is paid to the technological aspects of the experiments that are performed in these areas. Next to the compulsory courses, you can follow electives in line with your own interests. In the last months of your bachelor's program you will work independently in one of the department’s research groups on your bachelor’s end project. This project is good practice for your internship and research project in your master's program.
Examples of projects
In the past students of the major Medical Sciences and Technology have worked on the following projects:
- Sensor proteins for antibody detection
- The effect of different mechanical loading patterns on cell viability and matrix production
- Serum-free cell culture in bone tissue engineering
- Influence of initial seeding density on the production of ECM proteins by human mesenchymal stem cells
- Synthesis and characterization of perylene moieties with an aromatic sidechain