Language proficiency requirements

English proficiency requirements

To successfully participate in a TU/e program, you need to be proficient in the English language. The following English language proficiency test results are accepted by TU/e:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
    Overall band score of at least 90 AND a minimum score of 21 for each section. TU/e only accepts the TOEFL internet-based test. Please note that we only accept all scores from 1 test date. TU/e does not accept MyBest Scores. Students can arrange for their TOEFL results to be sent to the TU/e directly by using the TU/e university code number 8615. Please also fill in department code 99: 'any department not listed' otherwise your results will not be sent to the correct department at TU/e.

  • IELTS (academic version) with an overall band score of at least 6.5 and a minimum of 6.0 for each section.  

  • University of Cambridge proof that you have passed the C2 proficiency (formally known as Certificate of Proficiency in English CPE, with overall score 180 with a minimum of 169 in each section), or the C1 Advanced Certificate(formally known as the Certificate in Advanced English CAE)  with overall score 176 with a minimum of 169 in each section.

Please note: It is obligatory to fill in the overall and the section scores in the online appliation form if you submit an IELTS or TOEFL test result.
No other language tests are accepted than the tests mentioned above.

It may take as much as 6 weeks after you have taken your language test for the test center to issue your results. Please bear this in mind when planning your English test.
If you have taken an IELTS or TOEFL test, but have not yet received the official test score report, you may upload and send your results from the internet, including your username and password from your TOEFL account (preferable typed and not written) or the TRF number from your IELTS test. TU/e will then verify your results on the IELTS or TOEFL website. Keep in mind that we need to be able to verify your English test results before the final deadline of application.
As it may take a considerable amount of time before you receive your test results, we advise you to register for the test of your choice months before starting your application.
The language test results may not be older than 2 years.

Exemptions from the English language tests

  • Students who have followed at least their entire Bachelor’s degree or the last 3 years of their High School in the following countries are exempted for the requirement to submit one of the above-mentioned language tests: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
  • Students who have gained a diploma at the Dutch vwo level (pre-university education level).
  • Students with an Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs (ASO) diploma from a a pre-university education level in Flanders.
  • If you have the nationality of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
  • (Only if you apply for a Bachelor’s program): If you have and IB or EB diploma (with English as language of instruction). 
    If your IB was not entirely conducted in the English language, exemption is possible if you have done English A HL with a minimum score of 5.
    If your EB was not entirely conducted in the English language, exemption is possible if you have passed EB English Language 1 or 2.

No other exemptions are possible than those listed above.

Dutch proficiency requirements

If you are applying for a TU/e program conducted in the Dutch language, and you were not previously educated with Dutch as the only language of instruction at a Dutch pre-university school (vwo) or hbo (University of Higher Professional Education also called University of Applied Sciences), you are required to submit the Dutch State Examination NT2-II as proof of language proficiency in Dutch:

  1. Apply for an NT2-II at a recognised language institute (e.g. James Boswell Instituut or the Language Centre at the University of Tilburg).
  2. Register for the Dutch State Examination NT2-II at the DUO, the Dutch student registration office
  3. If you have received a conditional admission from the TU/e, you may enroll on the Bachelor's program AFTER you have passed the NT2-II examination.