Students who want to apply for an exchange program at TU/e need to apply directly to the Erasmus and ECTS coordinator of the department where they want to study. This also applies to free movers.
Students who are nominated for an exchange semester at TU/e by the exchange coordinator of their home institution will receive a login link to the online application form from the departmental exchange coordinator at TU/e.
Students who wish to do an internship or research project at one of the departments of TU/e can contact the departmental internationalization coordinator. If you are accepted as a research/internship student, you will receive the link to the online application form from the departmental internationalization coordinator.
Freemovers: If students want to follow courses at TU/e, their exchange most likely takes place within the framework of a bilateral agreement between TU/e and the home institution. If such an agreement does not exist, students can apply as a free mover. However, in that case they have to pay tuition fee to TU/e for the period they are studying here.
Your application will be managed from start to finish in our online registration system Mobility Online. All the required steps, documents and requests for services we offer are integrated in this system. For example:
- Download forms and upload required documents in Mobility Online, such as a learning agreement, proof of your English language proficiency level, your transcript of records and ID card or passport.
- Via the system you can inform us if you would like to make use of certain services related to visa procedures, accommodation and insurances.
What is needed for your online application:
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language [see proficiency requirements below]
- Transcript of records from your home university detailing all the study components undertaken to date at the home university
- A copy of your passport
Student with an EEA nationality need to either upload the result of one of the official English language tests mentioned under “English proficiency requirements for non-EEA exchange students”, or they can have the TU/e exemption form signed by their home institution. Note that it depends on your nationality if you are allowed to use this exemption form, and not on the country in which you are currently studying! It is also not allowed to replace this exemption form by a statement from your university, or by a test score other than the ones mentioned here below.
Students with a Non-EEA nationality need to provide proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language. This is needed for the enrollment at TU/e and for the application of a visa and/or residence permit. The following English language proficiency test results are accepted by TU/e:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Overall band score of at least 90 AND a minimum score of 21 for each section. TU/e only accepts the TOEFL internet-based test. Students can arrange for their TOEFL results to be sent to the TU/e directly by using the TU/e university code number 8615. Please also fill in department code 99: 'any department not listed' otherwise your results will not be sent to the correct department at TU/e.
- IELTS (academic version) with an overall band score of at least 6.5 and a minimum of 6.0 for each section.
- University of Cambridge proof that you have passed the C2 proficiency (formally known as Certificate of Proficiency in English CPE, with overall score 180 with a minimum of 169 in each section), or the C1 Advanced Certificate (formally known as the Certificate in Advanced English CAE) with overall score 176 with a minimum of 169 in each section.
It is obligatory to fill in the overall and the section scores in the online application form if you submit an IELTS or TOEFL test result.
No other language tests are accepted than the tests mentioned above.
It may take as much as 6 weeks after you have taken your language test for the test center to issue your results. Please bear this in mind when planning your English test.
If you have taken an IELTS or TOEFL test, but have not yet received the official test score report, you may upload and send your results from the internet, including your username and password from your TOEFL account (preferable typed and not written) or the TRF number from your IELTS test. TU/e will then verify your results on the IELTS or TOEFL website. Keep in mind that we need to be able to verify your English test results before the final deadline of application.As it may take a considerable amount of time before you receive your test results, we advise you to register for the test of your choice months before starting your application.
The language test results may not be older than 2 years.
Exemptions from the English language tests
- Students who have followed at least their entire Bachelor’s degree or the last 3 years of their High School in the following countries are exempted for the requirement to submit one of the above-mentioned language tests: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
- If you have the nationality of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
- No other exemptions are possible than those listed above.
The application form needs to be signed by you and the ECTS coordinator of your home institution. Exchange programs normally take place within the framework of a bilateral agreement. Students, who apply as free movers and are accepted by the department, need to pay tuition fee to TU/e for the period they are studying at TU/e.
If you want to follow courses at TU/e, unless specified otherwise by the department, the application deadline for applications for the first semester (starting September) is 1 May. The application deadline for applications for the second semester (starting January/February) is 1 October. These deadlines may be different per department. Please consult the departmental internationalization coordinator for the exact dates. The department concerned will inform you of their admission decision. After completion of your period of study abroad at TU/e, your TU/e department will provide you with a transcript of records containing the study program components you followed at TU/e, the number of credits and the grades.
If you want to carry out an internship or graduation project at TU/e, there are no strict deadlines as a project can be started any time throughout the year. However, please do submit your application well in advance, as the application process takes time.