Immigration matters

Visa and residence permit

Most students from outside the EU who want to stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months need an entry visa. To check if you need a visa and/or residence permit, you should check the Nuffic website. 

The university will apply for your visa on your behalf. This procedure takes approx. 4 weeks. For nationals from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal the procedure will take several months. This because of strict legal regulations. You will receive more information about the documents needed for the procedure as soon as you have been admitted by the department and we have received your application package.


The Dutch immigration service charges € 171 for the visa application and/or residence permit application. Before we can apply for your visa and/or residence permit we ask you to transfer € 171 to our bank account. The International Office will apply for both your visa and residence permit before your arrival.

Tuberculosis (TB) test

Some non-EU/EEA students are required to take a TB test as part of their residence permit formalities. If this applies to you, you will be asked to undergo a TBC X-ray at a local health centre shortly after your arrival in the Netherlands. In order to undergo the TB test, you must make an appointment with the Municipal Health Service (in Dutch GGD). You can use this list of nationalities to find out if you are required to undergo a TB test after arrival.

Bank account

The international branch will open a bank account for you at the Dutch bank, the Rabobank.

You are required to fill in a tax registration form. (Rabobank CRS form). Please note that the completed form must be scanned and sent to TU/e will send you all details of your new Dutch bank account by e-mail a few weeks before your arrival in Eindhoven. During the Registration Day of Intro or Master kick-off you sign for your new bank account. On that day you will also receive your bank card with which you can deduct money from an ATM. Do not forget to check at your home bank how you can transfer money from that bank account to your new Dutch bank account at the Rabobank.


Students from the European Economic Area (EEA)

 Any citizen of an EEA member country and Switzerland may live and work in the Netherlands, though certain conditions must be met and exceptions might apply. Croatian nationals still need a work permit to be able to work in the Netherlands. 

Students from countries outside the EEA  

Students from countries outside the EEA who are employed in any form, including an internship or a project, cannot work without a work permit / trainee agreement.  

Internship students from outside the EEA 

If you are enrolled as a TU/e student and will take an internship in the Netherlands as part of your study program you need a Trainee Agreement.  

Students from outside the EEA with a part-time job               

If you are thinking of financing your TU/e studies by working part-time, and you are from a country outside the EEA, you will need a work permit. The company where you will be working has to apply for your work permit. This procedure takes about 5 weeks.  

However, there are some important things to take into consideration: 

  • Your visa to enter the Netherlands will be granted on the basis of your study and limits the amount of hours you are permitted to work. You are only allowed to work for a maximum of 16 hours per week or full-time in the summer months (June, July, August). You are not permitted to work both. 

  • If you work, you must register with the Dutch tax authorities. You will be obliged to declare all income (including any income from a scholarship) and may be taxed on your entire income. We can provide you with a statement that helps the personnel officer to fill in the tax papers with you, so your scholarship does not get taxed. 

  • If you work, you are legally obliged to pay employee health insurance. This insurance is more expensive than the health insurance for students. 


Since sufficient health and liability insurance are mandatory in the Netherlands, it is important that you arrange insurance either before you leave your country or immediately after arrival in the Netherlands.  


Check your insurance policy in your home country to see if it covers your stay in the Netherlands for both health and liability. The Netherlands has signed treaties regarding health insurance with the following countries: all of the EU member states, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Turkey, Morocco, most of the countries of former Yugoslavia, Tunisia, Cape Verde Islands and Australia. If you are insured under a health insurance scheme of one of these countries, your insurance company can provide you with an international declaration form called European Health Insurance Card. This card provides health insurance during your stay in the Netherlands.   

Make sure you bring this form with you to the Netherlands, and make a number of copies of it. You will need this card to be able to see a doctor in the Netherlands.  

If you do not have liability insurance that covers you in the Netherlands, it’s advised that you arrange liability insurance via AON (ICS Start insurance). If you need partial cover for health in addition to your EHIC, you can arrange the ICS Start + insurance with AON.  

If you indicate on the confirmation statement that you want TU/e to arrange insurance for you, you do not have to make arrangements yourself. You can select the option you wish to have on the confirmation statement.  

Non-EU students

Students from countries that are not mentioned above are advised to take out health and liability insurance from AON (ICS Complete insurance). If you indicate on the confirmation statement that you want TU/e to arrange insurance for you, you do not have to make arrangements yourself. You can select the ICS Complete option on the confirmation statement  

If the insurance from your home country also covers you in the Netherlands, then please compare your insurance to the AON insurance so you are sure your insurance has sufficient coverage.  

Students with a (part-time) job or paid internship  

If you have a (part-time) job or paid internship in the Netherlands and you earn at least the Dutch minimum wage, you are considered to be insured under the Dutch Health Insurance Act. This means you are legally required to take out Dutch basic health insurance. If the internship pay is less than this minimum wage, you are not allowed to take out a Dutch basic health insurance. In this case, you can keep your AON student insurance or other student insurance you have arranged yourself.

For more information about minimum wage check this website. For the calculation of the minimum wage, please see the following tool (only available in Dutch).

Letter from National Health Care Institute (Zorginstituut Nederland)  
During your study period at TU/e you may receive a letter from the Dutch National Health Care Institute (Zorginstituut Nederland). If you receive this letter, you MUST ALWAYS respond!  You will find instructions on how to respond to this letter on the pages of the Study in Holland website,

More information

Interesting links

Interesting links