‘Colonna del ViaggiatoreB' 1960 – 65
Location: near entrance of Laplace building
The Italian sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro (1926, Morciano de Romagna) studies architecture and scenery design and works as an apprentice goldsmith before taking up sculpture in the nineteen fifties. In 1954 he settles down in Milan, where he holds his first exhibition and where he has lived ever since. In 1963 he wins the highest award for sculpture at the Biennale of Sao Paulo, repeating this achievement in 1964 at the Biennale of Venice. During the nineteen seventies Pomodoro also gains a reputation in the graphic arts.
Pomodoro starts out working in bronze, later combining various materials which he transforms into both traditional and modern works. His collosal sculptures feature organic, round structures combined with craggy, contrasting textures.
So too does 'Colonna del Viaggiatore', a work which he develops between 1960 and 1965: on the one hand there are smooth, polished surfaces, and on the other there are incisions and recesses that seem to constitute a world of their own: as if the skin shows the entrails at the same time.
Pomodoro's sculptures are on display in museums, like MOMA in New York, as well as in public spaces, ranging from New York and Cincinnati to Milan.
Photographs of works by Arnaldo Pomodoro