Jan Dijker (1913-1993) is best known for his monumental and ecclesiastical works. He maintains a figurative style up to 1955, whereafter he develops towards more abstraction.
Dijker first specializes in glass art. At first he creates works in stained glass, later he tries out other techniques and materials: glass applique, glass in concrete and glass in epoxy.
In the mid fifties Dijker's style moves away from the baroque, and is characterized by more sobriety and the use of vivid colours. He no longer paints the glass, but lets contours and surfaces determine the composition. He achieves various shades of colours by laying several layers of glass over each other.
Around 1960 his work has become more abstract and he applies modern techniques in his wall art. He combines sgraffito, mosaics and art in concrete into single works.
During the construction phase of the Pavilion, the first building on the TU/e campus, he lays some floor mosaics near the main entrance. Part of these works were unfortunately covered with a new floor during a refurbishment of the building, but some of them located near the pond were kept.
Dijker was educated at the Amsterdam Academy of Art (Rijksacademie) from 1936 to 1941. During the reconstruction years after World War Two he created in assignment many monumental works of art: glass art, sgraffiti and mural paintings. He combined this with free work. He was a teacher at the Catholic School for Teachers (Katholieke Leergangen) at Tilburg from 1952 to 1979.