KENWIB’s (Knowledge cluster of energy-neutral living and working in Brabant, The Netherlands) aim is to stimulate and effectuate energy-neutral (urban) areas by means of united, integral development and the spreading of knowledge.
As a result of KENWIB, the province North Brabant, local authorities, corporate life, housing corporations and the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) have been cooperating ever since 2009.
The cooperation between the above-mentioned parties as well as integral knowledge development is realised throughstudy and graduation projects, which are connected to different departments. For this program, the department CME of the TU/e provides the interfacultary coherence concerning content at expertise fields of technical energy and corporate issues (see video clip and www.tue.nl/cme).
KENWIB also invites other international interested parties to cooperate within the KENWIB program.
The research conducted by KENWIB is essentially about the energy management of entire areas, seeing that many engineering companies have already designed the blueprints for energy-neutral houses. However, the energy-neutral city, or just and energy-neutral quarter to begin with, is a task that does not just require technological knowledge, but also involves social, economical and juridical aspects. What kind of technology is required, and permitted, over how long a period, how to organise it, what kind of (financial) management, in which quarter or urban area?
In the meantime, the following results have been achieved:
- More than 70 graduation reports with as many companies and institutions
- Several international study trips, joined by different participants: people from the corporate world, students, governments and associates of the university have been united for a few days
- A collection of publications at scientific congresses as well as in scientific journals
- Approximately five workshops: the graduation presentations and essays served as the input of these workshops, while knowledge sharing and plan development were the results
- Last but not least, about 70 graduates have already entered the corporate life and institutions and work there, also as experts and ‘ambassadors’, on issues concerning sustainable (re)development of the already built environment.
- As spin-off of these studies, Energy PhD projects within the context of KIC INNO are set up together with European parties: energy management in urban regions (Smart Energy Regions Brabant).
Coming years, KENWIB intends to develop 2.0 educational and research activities, which aim at the preserving and the making of energy-neutral living and working areas. Points of interests for cooperation regarding graduation projects are:
- Bring new investors in contact with new technological concepts for already existing buildings
- Transition of existing supplies of residential (corporate) buildings
- Exploring concepts for energy-equalization and spacial planning: integral approach for energy management at the level of entire regions
- For this purpose, there is research aiming at composing the ideal ‘region-mixture’: urban, agricultural, industrial and leisure
- Adjusting concepts for corporate management, earning models, in relation to earlier mentioned studies