The Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute at the Eindhoven University of Technology organizes the yearly Optical Sensing Challenge. Companies and organizations throughout Europe are invited to propose practical sensing problems which may have a solution based on optics or photonics.
Way of working:
- Proposals (1 page max) should describe the sensing problem, main specifications, shortcomings of existing solutions, and potential impact
- The TU/e selects a limited set of challenges based on technical feasibility and potential industrial or societal impact
- Solutions to the selected challenges are investigated by small teams of TU/e Master or PhD students, with the supervision of an academic advisor. Practical approaches based on optics and photonics are analyzed and benchmarked in terms of technical specifications and cost
- The results are presented by the team to the proposer of the challenge
- Confidentiality agreements can be made if needed, and a follow-up in terms of IP protection and demonstration can be discussed with the TU/e and its industrial partners.
- No funding is required from the proposer
The submission deadline for the 2022 challenge is 15 December 2022, and the student projects will be carried out in the period February - April 2023. The proposals, and any request for further information, can be sent to Prof. A. Fiore, a.fiore@. tue.nl