Googling on the definition of Data science yields many millions of answers. We use a simple pragmatic definition: “The art of extracting information out of real-world data in order to create value for society”. Data may be structured or unstructured, static or streaming and may have many different formats. Value can be in the form of predictions, automated decisions, models learned from data or any type of data visualization delivering insights Our definition excludes very important research done on the hardware that is needed to generate, store and process the data. It also excludes research that is using modelled data only.
DSCE’s mission is plain and simple: we want to stimulate the quality and quantity of Data Science research at the TU/e. Our Data Science research is covering a wide variety of methods, techniques and applications. Due to the nature of scientific research we normally ‘go deep’ within one’s own discipline. However, in our vision the most interesting and promising new research happens at the interface of disciplines and is inspired by cooperation with external parties. DSCE want to stimulation and support this important trend.
To realize our vision, we have a threefold strategy:
- We act as a window to the world. This has two directions: interested external parties can easily reach us in order to investigate potential cooperation possibilities. Vice versa TU/e groups are supported to reach out, communicate about their work and explore new cooperation possibilities.
- We act as a meeting place, where new interesting ideas are born. We facilitate and stimulate sharing of ideas, methods and application areas, both internally as well as externally.
- We help define new projects & organize support in obtaining funding. This is mainly done through our research programs, where researchers from various groups all work from their own expertise on commonly interesting challenges.
The DSCE core team runs the daily operations and initiates and stimulates the research programs. The core team exists of:
- Jack van Wijk - Scientific Director
- Mark Mietus - Director Operations
- Wouter Duivesteijn - Program Manager Customer Journey (CJ)
- Marius Monen - Program Manager Internet of Data (IoD) and Smart Manufacturing & Maintenance (SMM)
- Pieter Van Gorp - Program Manager Health Analytics (HA) and Quantified Self (QS)
- Patricia van Zachten - Communication & Secretary
DSCE Core Team
Pieter Van Gorp
Jack van Wijk
Visiting addressData Science Center EindhovenMetaForum 5.096Groene Loper 55612 AZ EindhovenThe Netherlands
Postal addressData Science Center EindhovenMetaForum 5.096PO Box 5135600 MB EindhovenThe Netherlands
Contact PersonPatricia van Zachten - Knubbendsce@ tue.nl