3D-steady state heat conduction (thermal bridges), 1D transient heat conduction in envelopes, transient moisture transfers in porous materials, convective heat and moisture transfer in envelopes.
Practical exercises: experiments and computer simulations of practical problems using the content of the lecture.
The students learn to calculate, simulate, and evaluate the performance of building envelopes regarding the heat and moisture transfer.
The course is assessed by both a written exam as well as reports of modeling exercises.
The understanding of the basic principles of heat and moisture transfer in building constructions, the related performance criteria and the calculation of the performances of building constructions are evaluated at a written exam including questions that are representative for the whole course book.
- Quality of the models: mathematical modeling, implementation, modeling parameters, boundary values.
- Quality of the (modeling) results: validation of the simulation results, graphical representation.
- Quality of the (academic) discussion of the results: interpretation of the results, relation with the model, discussion of uncertainties.
- Quality of the report: conciseness, accurateness, readability, layout.
Students gain knowledge about the basic principles of:
- heat and moisture transfer in building constructions,
- related performance criteria.
Students learn concepts and tools for heat and moisture transfer in building envelopes.