Light by Design
LED is the new standard in lighting. However, lighting devices based on LED require an optical system to create a desired light output. In the program ’Light by Design’ we investigate advanced physical models describing the interaction of light with optical systems and develop efficient numerical simulation methods for the design of these systems. The ultimate goal is to develop advanced simulation tools that can be used for virtual prototyping.
Using numerical simulation methods, we can compute the shape of the reflector that convertsa uniform parallel beam of light into the illuminance pattern corresponding to the gray-scaleimage of the painting ”Girl with a Pearl Earring”
- Objective: develop physical models, new optical components, characterisation methods and advanced simulation tools for illumination devices.
- Program Manager: J.H.M. ten Thije Boonkkamp, Assistant Professor of Mathematics.
- Thought Leader: W.L. IJzerman, Philips Lighting.
- Partners: Philips Lighting, ASML, TNO, Lumileds
”We build the fundamentals for illumination optics”
- Wilbert IJzerman (Thought Leader Light by Design)