8MC00 - Numerical analysis of continua
- Solution of the one-dimensional diffusion equation by means of FEM / Weighted residual formulation / weak form / interpolation / Galerkin method /isoparametric elements /numerical integration
- Solution of the one-dimensional convection diffusion equation by means of FEM / temporal discretization / spatial discretization / Peclet number
- Three dimensional convection/diffusion equation / divergence theorem / isoparametric elements in 2 and 3 D
- Shape functions and numerical integration / triangular elements / higher order elements / Gauss integration
- Infinitesimal strain elasticity problems
- Stokes and Navier Stokes equation / incompressibility condition / mixed elements / Babushka-Brebbi condition / Newton linearization / time integration
- Students have to know, understand and apply the basic principles of The Finite Element Method.
- They need to understand the possibilities and limitations of FEM
- They have to be able to write short MATLAB scripts for numerical integration, time integration, solution of nonlinear problems and problems related to interpolation and discretization.
- They need to have an overview of the structure FEM packages and operational knowledge of: mlfem_nac.