Johan Maljaars is a Full Professor and Chair of Aluminium Structures at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). Johan’s expertise is in the structural performance of aluminium structures, fatigue and fracture of metal structures and structural fire resistance of aluminium structures. His research interests in the area of advanced steel and aluminium structures, fatigue and fracture, structural design, joining technology and design, computational mechanics, and damage and fracture mechanics.By developing optimal response models and designs, Johan aims to strengthen and improve the position of aluminiumin the market.
Johan Maljaars obtained his MScwith cum laude in Civil Engineering at Delft University of Technology in 2001. After this, hebegan his professional carrier at TNO, where he is currently workingas a Senior Scientist for metal structures. From 2004 to 2008 he combined this position with a PhD at TU/e, which he received with honors. In 2014 he was appointed full professor at the unit of Structural Design of the Department of the Built Environment. He is currently doing research into the reliability level of fatigue-loaded bridges and other structures. Johan publishes in journals such as the International Journal of Fatigue and Thin Walled Structures.
A combined experimental and numerical examination of welding residual stressesJournal of Materials Processing Technology (2018)
Partial factors for fatigue loads in the Eurocode system for road bridge design2018 European Safety and Reliability Conference (ESREL 2018) (2018)
Reliability-based fatigue life estimation of shear riveted connections considering dependency of rivet hole failuresMATEC Web of Conferences (2018)
Uncertainty analysis of constant amplitude fatigue test data employing the six parameters random fatigue limit modelMATEC Web of Conferences (2018)
- Advanced steel and aluminum structures
- Geotechnics, Soil mechanics and Seismic structural design
- Member of ECCS-TC6, Fatigue (ECCS/TC6)
- Lecturer for Master Education ¿Staal/betonconstructeur¿, Betonvereniging & Bouwen met Staal
- Member of IIW/XIII, Fatigue
- Lecturer for ¿Construeren in aluminium¿, Aluminiumcentrum
- Structural performance, safety and life-cycle cost, International Association for Bridges and Structural Engineering, Working Commission 1
- steel and aluminium structures¿, Delft University of Technology
- Senior scientist, TNO, Delft
- Member, TGB Staal