Founded in 1973, SEFI is a non-governmental, non profit international organisation whose aims are:
- to contribute to the development and the improvement of engineering education as well as to the improvement of the position of the engineering professionals
- to provide appropriate services and to promote information about engineering education
- to improve communication and exchanges between teachers, researchers and students in the various European countries
- to develop co-operation between educational engineering institutions and establishments of higher technical education
- to promote co-operation between industry and those engaged in engineering education
- to act as an interlocutor between its members and other societies or organisations.
The Society serves as a European Forum and should be considered as a service provider to European institutions, academic staff and industry.
SEFI organises Annual Conferences, seminars and workshops.