BSc. Certificate 'Technology for Sustainable Development' (TSD/BSc.)
TU/e Certificate 'TECHNOLOGY FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT for Bachelor students (TSD/Bsc.).
Aims and target group
The BSc certificate programme in “Technology for Sustainable Development” is relevant for students who want to contribute to socially and environmentally sustainable development, both at home and abroad. Negative impacts from conventional economic development strategies are becoming ever more obvious and they require urgent action, by people working in government, the private sector, and non-governmental organisations alike. These organisations are looking increasingly to hire young people with initiative and drive who have the awareness and the skills to work towards achieving a transition towards more sustainable development. There is a special role for technical specialists who are well aware of the methods for integrating sustainability aspects in the research and design processes in their own field of expertise.
This certificate equips students for a career in this domain. It takes a global perspective. In today’s world, the required expertise of engineers working for multinationals, non-governmental organisations, engineering consultancy companies or international institutions keeps expanding geographically, embracing newly industrialising countries in Asia, Latin America and the former Soviet Union, as well as less developed economies in Africa. There is a growing demand for scientists and engineers who have awareness of how sustainability problems play out in different socio-economic and cultural environments, and who have the skills to address these problems in diverse settings and perform well in multidisciplinary project teams.
Students who choose certain courses and projects in the field of sustainability and environment for a total of 20 ects will receive the TSD certificate together with their Bachelor of Science diploma. With the certificate the TU/e declares that the owners are also experts of international sustainable development within their field of expertise.
Competencies / learning outcomes
The TSD certificate shows that you:
· can reflect on the essence of the most important environmental and social challenges that are occurring in a variety of socio-economic and cultural contexts (western economically advanced countries, newly industrialising economies, least developed countries)
· can contribute to innovativel ideas for the solution of these challenges in a sustainable manner;
· can indicate some important environmental and social exclusion problems and some research areas within your own field of expertise concerning sustainable technology;
· are capable of integrating aspects of environment and social inclusiveness in the design process in your own field of expertise;
· recognize the multidisciplinary character of sustainable technology;
· are capable of working in multidisciplinary teams.
This certificate is meant for all Bachelor students at the TU/e except students from the major Sustainable Innovation (since these students already follow 3 out of the 4 courses as part of their compulsory SI curriculum, while they can follow the 4th course "Globalization and Sustainability" 0SK10 as a SI elective).
The certificate consists of 4 courses, which can be spread out over the 3 BSc years:
1. 0SV00 "Sustainable Development in Global Context" (Q1.1 or Q2.1)
2. 0SV20 "From Industrial Ecology to Cradle-to-Cradle: Mass Flow Based Concepts" (Q1.4 or Q2.4)
3. 0SK10 "Globalization and Sustainability" (Q2.3)
4. 0SK20 "OGO Sustainable Innovation: Integration Project // special track for TSD certificate students" (Q3.2)