Faculty Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences
Various researchers of the faculty Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences participate in the Intelligent Lighting Institute.
School of Industrial Engineering
The following research institute operates within the School of Industrial Engineering.
Research School for Operations Management & Logistics (BETA).
BETA brings together the researchers of two Dutch universities. Here, researchers of the Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences and the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of Eindhoven University of Technology cooperate with researchers of the Centre for Telematics and Information Technology of the University of Twente. For more information, see: http://beta.ieis.tue.nl/
School of Innovation Sciences
Within the School of Innovation Sciences various researchers participate in the following national research institutes.
The N.W. Posthumus Institute (NWP)
The Posthumus Institute was founded in 1988. It is a Dutch-Belgian interuniversity institute for research and education in the field of economic and social history and the field of technology history. Researchers in the Technology, Innovation and Society group of the Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences participate in the institute’s activities. The Posthumus Institute is recognized as a research school by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. It is the NWP’s mission to encourage innovative interdisciplinary research through the development of joint research programs between the universities involved and by providing courses for doctoral candidates. For more information, see http://www.hum.leiden.edu/posthumus/
The Eindhoven Centre for Innovation Studies (ECIS)
The Eindhoven Centre for Innovation Studies (ECIS) serves as the research centre of the School of Innovation Sciences. For more information, see: http://ecis.ieis.tue.nl/
4TU Centre of Excellence Ethics & Technology
In addition, the Philosophy & Ethics research group of the School of Innovation Sciences participates in the 4TU Centre of Excellence Ethics & Technology. For more information, see: http://www.ethicsandtechnology.eu/
With these research institutes and centers, the Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences forms a bridge between companies, institutions and current research. The research schools cooperate with a number of prominent institutes of international standing.
In terms of research, employees carry out strategic-technological research. The following research topics exemplify the kind of research involved:
- The stock control of reserve parts and service tools, enabling the realization of lower costs and shorter waiting times.
- The measurement and improvement of the design and development process of new products and the market introduction of these products.
- The improvement of company information systems, enabling more efficient communication between departments.
- Research into the effectiveness of teamwork and work performance in the medical sector.
- Gaining experience of sustainable alternative applications through deliberately generated real-life situations (e.g. concerning a future energy infrastructure in the form of smart grids).
- The impact of new technologies on people (acceptance, trust, user-friendliness, etc.).