History of Eindhoven
Eindhoven arose between the Dommel and Gender rivers, acquiring its town charter in 1232. In 1920 the municipality of Eindhoven was created when the original municipality of Eindhoven – the current city centre – merged with the surrounding municipalities of Strijp, Woensel, Gestel, Tongelre and Stratum.
Technology in Eindhoven
At the end of the nineteenth century, Philips established its lamp factory in Eindhoven, leading to a stream of new workers. Eindhoven and Southeast Brabant rapidly grew from a predominantly farming area into a powerful industrial region in which technology played a central role. Fast economic growth followed and after the Second World War the DAF auto manufacturer propelled the city’s economic growth even more. This growth is evident in the city’s appearance with buildings and factories of the 1920s and 1930s alternating with contemporary office buildings for service companies and modern high-tech companies.
City of light
Eindhoven is now number one in terms of technology with a strategic position as one of Western Europe’s leading technology centers and the base of the research and development facilities of Royal Philips Electronics. Many other global companies have established research, development and production facilities in the Eindhoven area. Due to Philips - and because of the various projects involving lighting up city buildings - Eindhoven has become known as the City of Light.