Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com/) is a reference manager and an academic social network that provides supports in:
- collecting, saving and managing references and publications
- creating citations and bibliographies in Microsoft Word, OpenOffice and LaTeX
- contacting colleagues to share articles, notes and remarks about references
Mendeley is a combined desktop- and web-based database and website and can be accessed on a free account. However, the TU/e also owns a license for Mendeley Institutional Edition (MIE). A MIE account provides several advantages over a free account.TUe students and employees can profit from these advantages by creating an account with their TUe email address. They will be added automatically to a TU/e group platform (click: Join this group).
Users that currently use a free version of Mendeley can transfer to an MIE account. Their account can be coupled to their TUe email account, or a request can be made to be added to the TUe institutional group within Mendeley. The account features will then be upgraded automatically.
|Free Mendeley||Mendeley Institutional Edition|
|Premium institution-wide collaboration features||No||Yes|
|Number of private groups||5||Unlimited|
|Private group size||25||100|
|Personal library storage space||2 GB||100 GB|
|Shared library storage space||100 MB||100 GB|
|Content consumption analytics||No||Yes|
|Link resolver integration||No||Yes|
|24/5 Customer support service||No||Yes|
|Custom designed user awareness and adoption program||No||Yes|
Functionalities of Mendeley
- Import articles, web pages and other documents from search engines and academic databases using the web importer (a bookmarklet in your browser).
- Drag documents and (PDF) files directly into Mendeley from your desktop or folders
- Annotate and highlight texts in files and documents
- Manual import
- Creation of groups and sharing of publications, data and opinions
- Citing in different styles for over 1,000 journals or create new styles using the Citation Style Language.
Available for Mac, Windows and Linux
Compatible with Windows Word Mac Word, OpenOffice and BibTeX
Mobile: iOS and android