Advantages and disadvantages of Open Access
Advantages of Open Access publishing
- Open Access enhances visibility and impact of one's own work as Open Access articles are downloaded and cited more frequently than articles from non-Open Access journals..
- Free access to scientific knowledge, information and data strengthens the basis for transfer (education), development (research) and valorization of knowledge
- Developing countries and small or specialized research institutions and corporations have access to all Open Access articles.
- Open Access articles are published sooner than articles in non-Open Access journals.
- Open Access articles reach broader audiences than articles in non-Open Access journals.
Disadvantages of publishing Open Access
- Quality Open Access journals do not yet have the same established reputation as traditional journals.
- Open Access publishing is as yet not cheaper than the current costs of licences, and therefore may be a costly affair
- Predatory Open Access journals try to mislead and cheat authors.