Work permit

Students from the European Economic Area (EEA)

Any citizen of an EEA member country and Switzerland may live and work in the Netherlands, though certain conditions must be met and exceptions might apply.

Croatian nationals still need a work permit to be able to work in the Netherlands.

Students from countries outside the EEA

Students from countries outside the EEA who are employed in any form, including an internship or a project, cannot work without a work permit / trainee agreement.

Internship students from outside the EEA
If you are enrolled as a TU/e student and will take an internship in the Netherlands as part of your study program you need a Trainee Agreement.

Students from outside the EEA with a part-time job              
If you are thinking of financing your TU/e studies by working part-time, and you are from a country outside the EEA, you will need a work permit. The company where you will be working has to apply for your work permit. This procedure takes about 5 weeks.

However, there are some important things to take into consideration:

  • Your visa to enter the Netherlands will be granted on the basis of your study and limits the amount of hours you are permitted to work. You are only allowed to work for a maximum of 10 hours per week or full-time in the summer months (June, July, August). You are not permitted to work both.
  • If you work, you must register with the Dutch tax authorities. You will be obliged to declare all income (including any income from a scholarship) and may be taxed on your entire income. We can provide you with a statement that helps the personnel officer to fill in the tax papers with you, so your scholarship does not get taxed.
  • If you work, you are legally obliged to pay employee health insurance. This insurance is more expensive than the health insurance for students.