Prof. Dr. P.K. (Paul) Koenraad
Prof. Paul Koenraad heads the Photonics and Semiconductor NanoPhysics group at Eindhoven University of Technology, which presently comprises about 60 members. In addition, he is the educational director of COBRA and program director of the Active Nanophotonics Devices program (9 M€, part of the national nanotechnology trust NanoNextNL). His research covers the study of nanostructures and impurities in III-V semiconductors. The work in the last five years has stretched from true atomic scale microscopy of semiconductor nanostructured materials to optical analysis of individual semiconductor nanostructures. He has become an internationally leading expert in the application of scanning probe techniques for the study of nanostructures such as quantum dots, and has led the emerging field of single impurity analysis and manipulation in semiconductors by STM techniques. The atomic scale microscopy activities have resulted in a much deeper understanding of various growth mechanisms to form semiconductor nanostructures, and the work is presently focussing on the realization of full 3D atomic scale visualization of nanostructures by Atom Probe Tomography. The study of single impurities has unraveled new properties of semiconductor impurities and is increasingly focussed on the control and manipulation of a single impurity. In the field of optical microscopy, physics of a single quantum dot tunnel-coupled to an electron reservoir has been unraveled.
Five key publications
- Koenraad, P.M. and M.E. Flatté. Single dopants in semiconductors. Nature Materials 10, 96, 2011.
- Kleemans, N.A.J.M., J. van Bree, A.O. Govorov, J.G. Keizer, R. Nötzel, A. Yu. Silov and P. M. Koenraad. Many-body exciton states in self-assembled quantum dots coupled to a Fermi-sea. Nature Physics 6, 534, 2010.
- Yakunin, A.M., A. Yu. Silov, P.M. Koenraad, J.-M. Tang, M.E. Flatte, J.-L. Primus, W. Van Roy, J. De Boeck, A.M. Monakhov and N.S. Averkiev. Warping a single Mn acceptor wave function by straining the GaAs host. Nature Materials 6, 512, 2007.
- Giddings, A.D., J.G. Keizer, M. Hara, G.J. Hamhuis, H. Yuasa, H. Fukuzawa and P.M. Koenraad. Composition profiling of InAs quantum dots and wetting layers by atom probe tomography and cross-sectional scanning tunneling microscopy. PRB 83, 205308, 2011.
- Bocquel, J., V.R. Kortan, C. Sahin, R.P. Campion, B.L. Gallagher, M.E. Flatté and P.M. Koenraad. Core-state manipulation of single Fe impurities in GaAs with a scanning tunneling Microscope. PRB 87, 075421, 2013.