Prof.ir. A.M.J. (Ton) Koonen
Prof. Ton Koonen received his M.Sc. degree (cum laude) in Electrical Engineering from the Eindhoven University of Technology TU/e in 1979. In the same year he joined Philips’s Telecommunicatie Industrie, part of which has since 1984 become Lucent Technologies Network Systems Nederland. Prof. Koonen has worked on high-speed transmission systems and optical fiber systems for hybrid access networks, and from 1987 to 2000 also as a technical manager of the Forward-Looking Work department of Bell Laboratories within Lucent. He has participated extensively in European cooperative R&D projects, among others initiating and leading projects on wavelength-routed access networks in the ACTS and IST Framework Programs. Furthermore, he has frequently acted as an auditor and reviewer in national and EC projects. From 1991 to September 2000, Prof. Koonen worked as a part-time professor at the University of Twente, holding a chair on Photonic Networks. He has been appointed Bell Labs Fellow in June 1999. In September 2000, he became a part-time professor at TU/e, and from January 2001 onwards a full-time professor, holding a chair on Broadband Communication Networks in the faculty of Telecommunication Technology and Electromagnetics (TTE). He also manages the BraBant BreedBand (B4) alliance, a joint pre-competitive research co-operation on broadband network techniques and applications between the partners TU/e, KPN, Lucent Technologies, Agere Systems, Philips and Astron. His current research interests are high-speed multi-wavelength optical transmission and broadband access networks. He has (co-)authored over 65 papers on optical fiber communication. He has been an IEEE Member since September 2000, a Senior Member since May 2001, and is an IEEE Fellow since March 2007. He is also an OSA Fellow since March 2013.
Five key publications
- Koonen, A.M.J. Fibre to the Home/Fibre to the Premises: what, where, and when? IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 94, No. 5, pp. 911-934, May 2006.
- Koonen, A.M.J., N. Yan, J.J.V. Olmos, I.T. Monroy, C. Peucheret, E. van Breusegem and E. Zouganeli. Label-controlled optical packet routing - technologies and applications. IEEE J. of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 13, pp. 1540-1549, 2007.
- Koonen, A.M.J. and M.G. Larrode. Radio-over-MMF techniques - Part II: microwave to millimeter-wave systems. IEEE J. of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 26, No. 15, pp. 2396-2408, 2008.
- Koonen, A.M.J. and A. Ng’oma. Integrated Broadband Optical Fiber/Wireless LAN Access Networks, chapter in book Broadband Optical Access Networks and Fiber-to-the-Home. Editor Chinlon Lin, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Koonen, A.M.J., K. Steenbergen, F. Janssen and J. Wellen. Flexible reconfigurable fiber-wireless network using wavelength routing techniques: the ACTS project AC349 PRISMA. Photonic Network Communications, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 297-306, July 2001.