Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding anything PhD related. If your question is not among the questions below please check the website of PromoVE, the consultative PhD body of the Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (TU/e). There is a good chance the answer is there. Furthermore, the TIP booklet is a useful resource as it provides practical information about student life in Eindhoven and at the university


How can I arrange housing?

If you are an international PhD student, the TU/e International Office can arrange housing for you. In particular, they will mediate between you and a number of commercial real estate agencies. You can find more information at their website: https://www.tue.nl/en/education/studying-at-tue/practical-information-for-international-students/housing/housing-for-employees/

You can also try to arrange housing yourself, for example through one of the following websites:

  • Kamernet: Kamernet (http://www.kamernet.nl) is an online supply-and-demand website through which many Dutch students find their student room, apartment, or studio. Please note that ads on this site are not checked in advance. Although most rooms offered on the site are bona fide, some of them may be fraudulent. It is generally advised to not make any payments, before you have seen the room.

Is Eindhoven a safe place?

The Netherlands is generally a safe country. This does not mean, however, that crime does not exist!

You should not leave your valuables unattended. Even inside the university, sometimes laptops get stolen. If you have a bike, make sure to always lock it, if possible in a populated area.

Language and culture

Where can I learn to speak Dutch?

The TU/e Center for Language and Intercultural Communication offers various Dutch courses; information about their courses can be found on their website: w3.tue.nl/en/services/stu/center_for_communication_language_technology/clic_for_employees/dutch/dutch_for_beginners/