TU/e’s university professors are the ambassadors of our university. They are appointed for a term of five years. There is no specific learning assignment associated with these university professorships. The Board can decide, in consultation with the Doctoral Degree Board, to commission the university professor to (further) develop a new field.
The TU/e and Departmental Fellowship are intended to connect leaders from a specific field of expertise to the TU/e. They act as ambassadors for the university. From the nature of their careers, they emphatically perform in the field of Valorization. They also actively contribute to scientific research and education. This could include people with a special track record of R&D responsibility in a particular area in the business community.
Michael Boot, Mechanical Engineering
Jeroen van Duivenbode, Electrical Engineering
Ruud van Herpen, Built Environment
Wim Maassen, Built Environment
Koert van Mensvoort, Industrial Design
Elke den Ouden, Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences
Ronald Rovers, Built Environment
Eduard Pelssers, Mechanical Engineering
Carlo van de Weijer, Strategic Area Smart Mobility
Wim van Houtum, Electrical Engineering
TU/e conferred its first honorary doctorate on Dr. ir. H. Kramers in 1976, on the occasion of the celebration of the university's 20th foundation day. From 1981 to 2005 honorary doctorates were conferred only during university lustrum celebrations, always three at each time. As of 2005 honorary doctorates are also to be conferred in the intermediate years in order to raise the academic stature of TU/e foundation day celebrations.
In 2008, TU/e started appointing a distinguished professor annually. In this way, the University wants to perpetuate contacts with a number of honorary doctors. A distinguished professor is appointed for four years and during that period he spends one week a year at a research group at the university.
- Prof. Dame Ann Dowling 2018
- Prof. dr. Lars Arge, 2017
- Prof. dr. Gilbert Laporte, 2016
- Prof. dr. Joanna Aizenberg, 2016
- Prof. dr. Mark Kushner, 2016
- Prof. dr. Theodore Stathopoulos, 2015
- Prof. dr. Norman Fleck, 2014
- Prof. dr. Sabine van Huffel, 2013
- Prof.dr. S.I. Stupp, BioNanotechnology in Medicine, Northwestern University (till 30-06-2021)
- Prof.dr. N.A. Fleck, Mechanics of Materials, Cambridge University (till 01-01-2019)
- Prof.dr. T. Stathopoulos, Building Physics, Urban Physics and Wind Engineering, Concordia University (till 30-04-2023)
- Prof. M.J. Kushner, Computational Plasma Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, (till 21-04-2020)
- Prof.dr. G. Laporte, Distribution Management, HEC Montréal (till 01-09-2020)
- Prof.dr. J. Aizenberg, Bio-inspired Materials Engineering, Harvard University (till 01-10-2020)