PhD at TU/e
Do you have a master's degree, and do you aspire to a career in scientific research? Then consider a PhD position at TU/e. For four years, you will conduct (paid) in-depth research within a specific field of research. At a top international university known for its strong ties with industry, right in the middle of Brainport (the smartest region in the world).
What does a PhD at TU/e entail?
In four years, you will become an excellent, independent researcher. A professor will assist you in conducting in-depth, groundbreaking research in the field of your choice. You will work together with other research groups, industrial partners, and research institutions, depending on the subject of your research. After successfully defending your dissertation, you will be awarded the PhD title.
A PhD program offers you a great deal of freedom to conduct research into socially relevant topics. You can develop your ideas in an environment with state-of-the-art research facilities.
Why become a PhD candidate at TU/e?
If you choose to pursue a PhD at TU/e, you will be given the space and support to excel in your field. In addition, our small-scale and personal approach makes it easy to communicate and collaborate with other departments and research groups. Also, PhD candidates are valued employees at our university. Most have an employment contract and therefore receive a salary during their training.
The Netherlands has an open, friendly culture and a population that speaks English well. At TU/e you will find students from more than 80 different countries, who come together in one of the many communities. We embrace diversity and inclusion, as it adds to our success and pleasure in education and research. TU/e is a university where students and lecturers know each other on a first-name basis and work together on innovative projects with real-life significance.Read more
State-of-the-art research facilities
To conduct groundbreaking research, to attract outstanding scientific talent, and to train new generations of engineers, we have ultramodern research labs and facilities at our disposal. Some of our labs are unique in the Netherlands, or even in the world.Read more
As a PhD candidate, you will plunge into an intensive learning experience over a period of four (or five) years. Learning takes place all the time, both consciously and subconsciously: on the job, when interacting with others, while (informally) researching, and during courses and workshops. To support and facilitate the development of your competences, TU/e offers a dedicated training program for PhD candidates.
Is a PhD track right for me?
To successfully pursue a PhD, you must be able to work and write independently. In addition, you have an above-average interest in technology, are a go-getter, and can think analytically. Of course, you enjoy doing research and finding out the underlying cause of things. Finally, you need to have a suitable prior education.
Or an EngD (Engineering Doctorate)?
Do you want to continue your education, but not spend four years doing in-depth research? In that case an EngD program might be something for you: a two-year, paid, full-time program to become a technological designer. You will expand your technological knowledge, gain practical experience with the latest methods, and work on your professional skills. The main difference between an EngD program and a PhD track is its focus. A PhD is aimed at establishing yourself as an independent researcher. On the other hand, an EngD prepares you for a high-level position in industry.
Events and information for PhD's
Watch the program video where a PhD candidate and an EngD trainee will tell you more about their experiences at TU/e. Ask your question(s) directly to one of our PhD students. Or visit our Graduate School Event on campus!
Find out more about the program, our campus and TU/e student life in general during an online session.
Want to know more about our bachelors, masters, EngD or PhD programs? Watch one of our program videos presented by our staff and students.
Ask a PhD
Do you have a question about the program or PhD life? Ask our PhD's.
Graduate School Event
Visit the TU/e during the open day of our Graduate School
Fact & Figures PhD candidates
1650 PhD Candidates
About 1650 people are working as a PhD candidate at TU/e.
Every year about 225 PhD’s defenses take place.
Male Female Ratio
About 33% of the PhD candidates are women, 67% are men.
About 60% of our PhD candidates have an international background. The other 40% have Dutch nationality. English is our working language.
On average, the duration of the PhD trajectory at TU/e is one of the shortest in the Netherlands.
PhD candidates assess their PhD trajectory on average with a 7.5 (on a scale of 1-10).