Maarten Steinbuch is a Distinguished University Professor in Systems and Control and Chair of Control Systems Technology at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). His research ranges from automotive engineering (with a focus on connected cars and clean vehicles) to mechatronics, motion control, and fusion plasma control. His research interests are design and control of motion systems, robotics, automotive powertrains and of fusion plasmas. In both 2008 and 2014, his research group obtained the QANU excellence rating . His group is renowned for developing and applying principles for mechanical design of high-tech systems which enable high reproducibility and low-cost manufacturing of such systems. Maarten is primarily known for his work in the field of advanced motion control, as well as in robotics for high precision surgery. Steinbuch is a prolific blogger and a key opinion leader on the influence of new technologies on society and a well-known advocate of electric vehicles. He has developed new techniques to accommodate reference and disturbance induced errors, based on repetitive control, iterative learning and motion feedback control. Steinbuch's research has also resulted in improvement of robots for precision domestic care and surgery.
Maarten Steinbuch received his MSc and PhD from Delft University of Technology. From 1987-1998 he worked with Philips Research and from 1998-1999 with Philips CFT. Since 1999 he has been a Full Professor of the Control Systems Technology group of the Mechanical Engineering Department of Eindhoven University of Technology. He is also Scientific director of the TU/e High Tech Systems Center and Editor in Chief of the Journal ‘Mechatronics.’ He has acted as Editor-in-Chief of the leading journal IFAC Mechatronics(2008-2015), and Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology (2003-2008). Maarten is also well known as an entrepreneur and communicator and holds 9 patents. He has an H-index higher than 25 in Web of Science and higher than 45 in Google Scholar (over 9000 citations.) He has given over 80 invited lectures including many keynote speeches at conferences including the American Control Conference 2011, IFAC Symposium on System Identification (Sysid), IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control (MCS) 2013, and IFAC Mechatronics.
Where to improve in human-in-the-loop tele-operated maintenance? a phased task analysis based on video data of maintenance at JETFusion Engineering and Design (2018)
A task analysis approach to quantify bottlenecks in task completion time of telemanipulated maintenanceFusion Engineering and Design (2018)
A representation method based on the probability of collision for safe robot navigation in domestic environmentsAutonomous Robots (2018)
Design optimization of the transmission system for electric vehicles considering the dynamic efficiency of the regenerative brakeSAE Technical Papers (2018)
Creating agent-based energy transition management models that can uncover profitable pathways to climate change mitigationComplexity (2017)
- Advanced motion control
- Bachelor final project DSD - Control Systems Technology
- Graduation project Control Systems Technology (international)
- Dynamics and control of mechanical systems
- Introduction mechanical engineering and truss structures
- Member advisory board, ViriCity B.V.
- Founder and director, Steinbuch in Motion B.V.
- Member of the board, AutomotiveNL
- Co-founder and trainer, Mechatronics Academy B.V.
- Member of the board, NWO NRPO/SIA
- belang via convertible loan, Atlas Technologies (Lightyear)
- Member of the Executive Counsil, Topsector HTSM
- Member of the advisory board, DSPE
- Member advisory board, Smart Robotics B.V.
- Co-founder, shareholder, Preceyes Founders B.V.
- Member of the general board, Stichting Toekomstbeeld der Techniek (STT)
- trainer, talks, Faculty of SingularityU NL
- Member of the advisory board, Nobleo Technology B.V.
- Scientific director, TU/e High Tech Systems Center
- CEO, Medical Robotic Technologies B.V.
- Member of the Raad van Commissarissen (RvC), Sioux Group BV
- Member, Formule E team
- Member of the advisory board, Eneco
- Member of the Advisory Board, Urban Mobility Group B.V.
- Member of the board, NKL (Nederlands Kennis Centrum voor Laadinfrastructuur)
- Member of the Advisory Board, C2C Sustainable Impact Fund (C2C SIF)
- Member advisory board, Accerion B.V.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Rijkswaterstaat (RWS)
- Member of the advisory board, Weber Maschinenbau GmbH
- Member of the advisory board, Dutch Incert
- Co-founder, shareholder, MicroSure Founders B.V.