ECTS points
Education type
Bachelor program
Program with selection
Three years
Bachelor of Science

Look around you, at your house, neighborhood or school. Your surroundings are largely determined by architecture, urbanism and civil engineering. Our bachelor’s program Architecture, Urbanism and Building Sciences (AUBS) is about understanding these surroundings and their ongoing changes. It’s about creating and adapting buildings, neighborhoods and cities to meet society’s new wishes and demands.

Multidisciplinary development 

The Architecture, Urbanism & Building Sciences major is a broad and challenging study program. It mixes theory and practice, thinking and doing. Disciplines include: 

  • Architecture 
  • Urban design and planning
  • Structural design 
  • Building physics 
  • Real estate and management 

The broad approach allows you to get to know all disciplines of the built environment and then specialize in your favorite discipline. You and your fellow students will learn about designing buildings, houses, offices, museums or even entire neighborhoods in a multidisciplinary way. You will be learning about engineering, design and the building process. As a student, you must be prepared to work hard and have an affinity with architecture and civil engineering is an advantage. 

Major Architecture, Urbanism and Building Sciences

During the bachelor’s program, you will develop a broad base to become an engineer in AUBS. Design assignments will help you understand the connection between the different disciplines. Furthermore, you will discover what areas suit you best and in which discipline you want to specialize from the second year on. In the third year, you will learn to combine all disciplines in multidisciplinary project groups.

Visit us

Do you want to stay informed about important information about studying at TU/e and upcoming events? Then create an account in MyStart@TU/e!

Study in figures

Show Transcript
  • 4,0

    Student satisfaction on a scale 1 to 5

  • 305

    Number of first-year students

  • 18-24

    Contact hours in first year

  • 75%

    Advancement to second year

  • 67%

    Degree obtained within 4 years

  • 94%

    Follow-up education

Admission and Enrollment

What program type do you want?

Where did you get your degree?

Which program are you interested in?

Study association CHEOPS

The study association represent the interests of the students at the department of Built Environment. It tries to let the students view their field of study from a different angle. It achieves this by means of excursions, lectures and symposia and by organizing a study trip. On the other hand, the association also organises sports tournaments, parties, a weekly drink, weekends and other forms of leisure activities to stimulate the relation between the members themselves.


The independent judgment by the NVAO strengthens higher education institutions in their quality culture. On the basis of the judgments of NVAO higher education programmes are recognized and students receive a legally recognized degree. In the Netherlands, NVAO assesses the internal quality assurance pursued by universities and the quality of the programmes they provide.


  • Do you need to be creative or technical for the TU/e study Built Environment?

    A lot of people assume that ‘being creative’ means that you have to be good at drawing or crafts and making models. The main advantage is being able to think in a solution focused and/or analytical way, and draw a sketch to clarify to others what you mean. It’s not a requirement to be able to draw well, since a lot is done digitally nowadays. You will learn the basics of hand drawing during the bachelor program, so that after you will able to draw a sketch if needed to explain others your ideas. But ‘creativity’ is a broader concept, students can also be creative in problem solving or...

  • Do you need to work in groups when you study in the Bachelor AUBS?

    Yes, the skill ‘cooperation’ is a formal learning objective for the studies as a link to the practice. Our graduates will often work for or with clients in a multidisciplinary team environment.

  • What about my level of English?

    All courses are delivered in English at our department. If you are a student with a Dutch previous education, we assume that your English level should be adequate if you passed your VWO English course. If you still feel insecure about your English skills, we advise you to already study the language prior to the start of your study. For example you can take an English course, read or listen English (audio)books or install a language app on your cell phone. Or learn to speak English on your holiday!
    International students also need to be proficient in the English language, this is one of the...

  • What are the admission requirements for the Bachelor AUBS and how does the selection process for the Bachelor work?

    Please visit the website to see the requirements and specifics. This is the main source of information and it will be updated if needed. There are no guarantees that the information and requirements will remain the same for several years, so please look at information for the academic year you want to apply for.

  • What are the career possibilities after the masterstudy?

    You will be educated to go and work in the built environment or to do research at a university. Depending on the followed master track, you can become an architect, urban designer, real estate manager or do urban planning. Or you can become an engineer or researcher in the field of construction, acoustics, lighting, heat or energy. In your work you can focus on important topics like re-use of buildings, sustainability and Smart Cities.

  • What distinguishes the TU/e bachelor program of AUBS from other comparable bachelor programs?

    The bachelor program of the department Built Environment TU/e is characterized by a broad spectrum profile, combining Architecture with elements of Civil engineering. You can choose to specialize or broaden your own study program from the very start, which is unique. The bachelor program has three profiles:
    -          B (PSD): Building Physics and Services/Structural design
    -          (UDE): Architectural Urban Design and Engineering
    -          (SRE): Urban Systems and Real Estate
    With the first year hands-on project course of BAU studio 1 students explore and experience these three...

  • What is the average study load? What does it entail?

    All studies at the Built Environment  are full-time studies, requiring a full-time commitment. On average you will have to study approximately 40 hours a week to be successful, depending on your capacities, interests and work discipline. Our programs are characterized by frequent deadlines for handing in work, which requires strict discipline and planning skills in order to keep up with the material. In the first year of the Bachelor, students will have around 32 hours a week of contact hours on campus. There’s a lot of supervised group- and individual work incorporated in the studies.

  • What is the difference between a Dutch University (Academic/Scientific Education) and a Dutch ‘Hogeschool HBO’ (Applied higher education)?

    The Dutch higher education system can be slightly confusing to people from foreign countries. There are two main types of higher education, HBO and WO. Both may be referred to as ‘university’. Technical University Eindhoven TU/e  is a WO academic or science and research oriented educational institute, offering 3-year Bachelor of Science and 2-year Master of Science programs.  HBO or Hogeschool institutes are focused on applied higher education and usually offer 4-year Bachelor programs geared more towards the practical labor market. The academic universities (WO) are the highest possible level...

  • What is the next step after the bachelor program of AUBS?

    A successful graduation of the bachelor examination gives direct access to the following TU/e Graduate School programs:

    -  Architecture, Building and Planning
    -  Construction Management and Engineering
    -  Science Education and Communication
    As well as the following master programs at other universities in the Netherlands:

    -  Construction Management and Engineering (TUD, UT)
    -  Integrated Product Design (TUD)
    -  Strategic Product Design (TUD)
    -  Design for Interaction (TUD)
    -  Transport, Infrastructure and Logistics (TUD)
    -  Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society (UT)
    With your AUBS...