Application period and deadlines
APPLICATION PERIOD AND DEADLINES
Applications are formally accepted from February 15, 2023. The first selection round will start on April 1, 2023. However, you are welcome to apply till below mentioned deadlines. Final decisions are made not later than September (for Dutch nationals not later than October). As part of the second selection round you will be requested to upload a short video to YouTube. An (online) interview is part of the third selection round, which is planned for the period May – August 2023.
Due to immigration procedures the deadline for application varies:
- For Dutch nationals: September 15, 2023
- For EU nationals: August 15, 2023
- For non-EU nationals: July 1, 2023
Early application is strongly recommended as the number of positions is limited to 8 for ASD. In case you are also interested in Mechatronic Systems Design (MSD), you do not need to apply twice, you can just state that in your motivation letter.
How to apply?
All candidates that are interested in this EngD program and fulfill the requirements are welcome to apply. In order to be admitted into the selection procedure, you need to apply via the APPLY NOW button, and submit the following documents:
- A detailed motivation letter;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Copies of relevant B.Sc. diplomas and Grade transcripts;
- Copies of relevant M.Sc. diplomas and Grade transcripts;
- A copy of your M.Sc. thesis, or an abstract of your thesis;
- Copies of scores of English proficiency tests (IELTS or TOEFL IBT, or Cambridge CAE/CPE). For IELTS the minimum score is 6.5 (CEFR level C1), with no individual scores below 6.0 and scores for speaking/writing of at least 6.5. For TOEFL IBT the minimum is 90 (CEFR level C1), with no individual scores below 21 and scores for speaking/writing of at least 23. Only applicants from the Netherlands, United States of America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New-Zealand are exempted.
- The names and contact addresses (preferably e-mail) of (at least) two people whom we can contact for more information about you and your (thesis) work. Please, note that we usually prefer to contact people that have been involved with your (MSc) thesis project.
Please, note that you can upload maximally 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If you need to send more documents, you can e-mail these to asd@ with subject: “additional documents application ASD 2023”. tue.nl
For nearly graduates
Nearly graduates can apply for the 2023-2025 round, when it is expected to finalize the Master study successfully before November 1, 2023. Just follow the instructions mentioned above, with the following exceptions:
- Mention the expected final examination date in your cv;
- Instead of a final thesis we expect an extended description of the project or a provisional summary. Please, forward the full version of your thesis or abstract as soon as it becomes available.
- Instead of the final transcripts we expect the transcripts of finalized semesters. Please, forward the final transcripts as soon as these become available.
- You need to forward a copy of your diploma as soon as this becomes available. In case this is expected after November 1, 2021, you can send a preliminary certificate with expected graduation date. In order to get a definite offer, you will need to prove that you will finalize your study successfully before the start of our program.