Skip to content
8MB00 - Mechanics
- Vector calculus/ vector operations /decomposition with respect to a basis
- Concepts of Force and Moment / Newton's laws /tensor- en matrix notation / drawing conventions
- Equilibrium of force and momentum / free body diagrams
- Analysis of a 1-D-continuum / strain /stress /material behaviour
- Tensor calculus / vector field /rigid body rotation
- Stress 3D/ equilibrium equations / principal stresses / Von Mises stresses / Mohr's circles
- Motion / time as an extra dimension / Lagrange and Eulerian description / spatial and time time derivatives / displacement vector / gradient operator
- Deformation and rotation/ rektensors /volume change
- Constitutive behaviour of solids and fluids / (in) compressibel Neo Hookean behaviour, Newtonian fluids.
- Students have to understand the basics of equilibrium of forces and moments.
- They need to have operational knowledge of vector- and tensor calculus in coordinate free notation as well as matrix notation after introduction of a basis.
- Solve the one-dimensional equilibrium equation and have basic knowledge on 2- and 3-dimensional equilibrium equations.
- A good understanding of the definitions and properties of the stress and strain tensors. Interpret and use them.
- Understand the deformation rate tensor, the spin tensor and the velocity gradient tensor
- Determine gradients in scalar and velocity fields
- Describe movement of particles through a field
- Understand constitutive behaviour of isotropic solids for small and large deformations and Newtonian fluids.