Students who want to apply for an exchange program at TU/e need to apply directly to the Erasmus and ECTS coordinator of the department where they want to study. This also applies to free movers.
- The TU/e application form including Annex I to apply for housing, and Annex II for EER students
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language [see proficiency requirements below]
- Transcript of records from their home university detailing all the study components undertaken to date at the home university
- A copy of your passport
- A completed Erasmus+ learning agreement (only for Erasmus+ exchange students) or a completed TU/e learning agreement.
Non-EER students need to provide proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language. This is needed for the enrollment at TU/e and for the application of a visa and/or residence permit. The following English language proficiency test results are accepted by TU/e:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Overall band score of at least 90 AND a minimum score of 21 for each section. TU/e only accepts the TOEFL internet-based test. Students can arrange for their TOEFL results to be sent to the TU/e directly by using the TU/e university code number 8615. Please also fill in department code 99: 'any department not listed' otherwise your results will not be sent to the correct department at TU/e.
- IELTS (academic version) with an overall band score of at least 6.5 and a minimum of 6.0 for each section.
- University of Cambridge proof that you have passed the C2 proficiency (formally known as Certificate of Proficiency in English CPE, with overall score 180 with a minimum of 169 in each section), or the C1 Advanced Certificate (formally known as the Certificate in Advanced English CAE) with overall score 176 with a minimum of 169 in each section.
It is obligatory to fill in the overall and the section scores in the online application form if you submit an IELTS or TOEFL test result.
No other language tests are accepted than the tests mentioned above.
It may take as much as 6 weeks after you have taken your language test for the test center to issue your results. Please bear this in mind when planning your English test.
If you have taken an IELTS or TOEFL test, but have not yet received the official test score report, you may upload and send your results from the internet, including your username and password from your TOEFL account (preferable typed and not written) or the TRF number from your IELTS test. TU/e will then verify your results on the IELTS or TOEFL website. Keep in mind that we need to be able to verify your English test results before the final deadline of application.As it may take a considerable amount of time before you receive your test results, we advise you to register for the test of your choice months before starting your application.
The language test results may not be older than 2 years.
Exemptions from the English language tests
- Students who have followed at least their entire Bachelor’s degree or the last 3 years of their High School in the following countries are exempted for the requirement to submit one of the above-mentioned language tests: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
- If you have the nationality of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
- No other exemptions are possible than those listed above.
The application form needs to be signed by you and the ECTS coordinator of your home institution. Exchange programs normally take place within the framework of a bilateral agreement. Students, who apply as free movers and are accepted by the department, need to pay tuition fee to TU/e for the period they are studying at TU/e.
Unless specified otherwise by the department, the application deadline for applications for the first semester (starting September) is 1 May, the application deadline for applications for the second semester (starting January/February) is 1 October. The department concerned will inform you of their admission decision.
After completion of your period of study abroad at TU/e, your TU/e department will provide you with a transcript of records containing the study program components you followed at TU/e, the number of credits and the grades.