Immigration, bank account and insurance

Visa and residence permit

Most students from outside the EU who want to stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months need an entry visa and/or residence permit. To check if you need a visa and/or residence permit, you should check the Nuffic website. 

The university will apply for your visa on your behalf. This procedure takes approximately 4 weeks. You will receive more information about the documents needed for the procedure in the confirmation statement which every admitted student will receive at the beginning of May.

Tuberculosis (TB) test

Some non-EU/EEA students are required to take a TB test as part of their residence permit formalities. If this applies to you, you will be asked to undergo a TBC X-ray at a local health centre shortly after your arrival in the Netherlands. The International Office will arrange an appointment for you with the Municipal Health Service (in Dutch GGD). You can use this list of nationalities to find out if you are required to undergo a TB test after arrival.


Students from the European Economic Area (EEA)

 Any citizen of an EEA member country and Switzerland may live and work in the Netherlands, though certain conditions must be met and exceptions might apply. 

Bank account

If you do not yet have a Dutch bank account, the International Office will open a Dutch bank account for you at the Rabobank. You can opt for this in the confirmation statement which every admitted student will receive at the beginning of May or in December if you start in February.

You are required to fill in a tax registration form (Rabobank CRS form). Please note that the completed form must be scanned and sent to

TU/e will send you all details of your new Dutch bank account by e-mail a few weeks before your arrival in Eindhoven.
The procedure to open your new bank account will be completed during the Bachelor or Master registration day. Employees of the Rabobank will be present during this day. You will be asked to provide them with your signature in order for them to transfer the account to your name and to provide you with a bank card and pin code. You will be able to make payments from this account the next day at noon.

Do not forget to check with your bank in your home country if money can be transferred to your new Dutch bank account and what arrangements you need to make to transfer money into this bank account. The BIC/SWIFT code of the Rabobank is RABONL2U.

Registering at city hall

All international students who are staying in Eindhoven for more than four months must register at city hall.


Since sufficient health and liability insurance are mandatory in the Netherlands, it is important that you arrange insurance either before you leave your country or immediately after arrival in the Netherlands.  

More information

Interesting links

Interesting links